LMS/LCMS + (Learning Content Management System +) is a software package that enables management and delivery of learning content and resources to students.
LCMS+ was developed over seven years at Duke University School of Medicine (DUSOM) with the aim of having a very robust system that would be easy to maintain , well understood and readily available. The system was donated to Kilimanjaro Christian Medical College (KCMC) by DUSOM through MEPI as one of the benefits of KCMC-Duke collaboration. It is equipped with automated, personalized alerts to help make students and faculty aware of issues needing attention.
Its implementation started effectively in 2011 with 150 medical students, five faculty members and one specialist. The number kept on increasing annually; we now have a total number of 597 students from different departments and three specialists to maintain the system.
KCMUco Students taking online exams using LCMS Plus System
WHY LCMS+ AT KCMC
1. A smooth process:
- All communications with students (including feedback on assignments and grades) are in one location.
- Reduced paper work.
- Adding, removing, storing, and deleting course materials within the course space instead of in multiple locations.
2. Better grading:
- Electronic grade book allows students to have timely feedback
- Grade book can be accessed anywhere there is an Internet connection.
3. Increased student engagement:
- Students have 24/7 access to posted resources, announcements, grades, etc.
- Students can email from within the course space to fellow classmates.
- Students can view current information, such as links to websites, articles, videos and other resources.
MOODLE-MODULAR OBJECT ORIENTED DYNAMIC LEARNING ENVIRONMENT
Moodle is a learning platform designed to provide educators, administrators and learners/students with a single robust, secure and integrated system to create personalized learning environments.
The Use of Moodle as an Online Examination Backup System at KCMUCo
Moodle has proven to be a successful system of deploying sucured online examinations and we have adopted it and using it as a backup for hosting online examinations at KCMUco.
KCMUco Students taking online exams using Moodle System
Why use Moodle For online Exams
- Reliability and Accessibility-exam can be done anytime from any where
- Safety and Privacy-only authorized and authenticated users can access the exam
- Secure exam environment
- IP-restricted –Only Certain Identified computers will be able to access the exam
- Each Exam has unique password
- Time-based release of each exam results
- Exam can be automatically re-graded for the entire class if a mistake is discovered in a question or more possible answers are added to the system
- During the allowed test time, students can review answers
- Allowed more than one attempt during exam period in case of any technical problem.eg power, hardware problem